Wednesday, September 01, 2010


Our Spring Baby, Noa arrived at 9pm on the 1st of September 2010. Arriving 11 days early, she let me know of her presence the night before at dinnertime when I decided to have a light dinner, lie on the coach and contemplate an early bedtime due to some little abdominal cramps. That night I had my usual waking to go to the loo several times. With persisting cramps I was thinking to myself in the wee hours I should really let Adz know so that he could perhaps skip his ride. But, by the time I woke up around 6am he was already gone and the house was quiet. By breakfast, it was apparent that the cramps were still there, coming and going at 10 minute intervals. So, off Hana and Daddy trotted to daycare and work while I called Dr Hill's surgery to cancel my scheduled appointment.
Due to some leaking (sorry fellas') over a few days and increased risk of infection due to a childhood heart murmur, Dr Hill advised that I have an examination to check that my membranes hadn't ruptured. So, calling Adam back from work with his laptop in hand we headed up to the Wesley with a pitstop at Tognini's for a coffee and bite to eat. I know, pretty cool and calm but we really didn't want to be stuck in the hospital for the rest of the day twiddling our thumbs. A serious wave of deja vu as we headed gingerly through the labour ward. Turned out I was 2 cm dilated and my membranes were intact so we were given the all clear to return home if we wanted to. So, for the most of the day while Adz worked from home I watched,`the Young American' while busying myself tidying up and breathing through the gradually building contractions. By the late afternoon, we had called in Nanny B for the night ahead by which time I was rolling around on the pilates ball with my wheatbag in hand every 5-7 minutes. So, with Hana in the bathtub giggling away with Nanny, we bidded them farewell.
Arriving around 6pm, we got reacquainted with the familiar surrounds, tried to ignore the bossy, asian, nitrous oxide pushing midwife. Dr Hill made a brief appearance to put an IV line and check on my progress before leaving the room. After an hour and half or so of the same 5 minute intervals, and higher level of intensity, Dr Hill decided to break my waters. This meant that things started really moving along. The annoying Midwife was waving gas in my face while Dr Hill took charge barking orders at me while I soldiered through the hardest part of the labour with Adz close beside me. The tremendous sense of relief when it is over still takes my breath away and that first time seeing, hearing and holding our baby, words cannot describe. Baby girl, Noa is here and we couldn't be happier.

No comments: